Sunday 15 January 2012

Nails, out of this world.

Did you know that our moon is slowly drifting away from earth at a rate of 3.8cm per year or that the sun light we see is over 30,000 years old. Space is a beautifully complex thing, something so impossible to comprehend that it can leave you feeling insignificant and uncomfortable but at the same time - completely entranced and absorbed...
(I do not own this image)
With the scene set I wonder if, like me, the image of space and distant galaxies is fascinating. In the last few months I have seen many posts of my absolute favourite nail art design, the 'Galaxy Effect'. If you are wondering what I am talking about then imagine this, an incredulously vast black space filled with mysterious and alluring colours. Distant blues, vast violets and vibrant purples swirling together and creating something both creepy and beautiful (see image above). Now place the image in your head onto a nail and Voilà  - the eponymous, 'Galaxy Effect'.

We saw it in Christopher Kane's 2011 design, when he created the infinitely famous halter-neck Galaxy-print dress. Possibly one of my favourite designs, ever. It seemed to be mostly advertised through Alexa Chung in magazines. I'm sure you'd agree, not a dress that is easily forgotten...
Alexa Chung (I do not own this image)

(I do not own this image)

So anyway, as I am writing this, I am listening to 'space music' and by space music, I simply mean that I typed  'space music' into You Tube. I wanted to really get into this post. So yes, my nails. I took inspiration from so many of you and wanted to show my own version. Now by no means do nails come easily to me - it is something I have to force myself into but re-creating this look has been one of my favourite things I have tried since starting this blog. I hope you like what you see. I hope it looks like a distant galaxy. From all the different nail-polish fumes - I am pretty sure I was taken to into space for a brief period of time...





I created the look with:

Models own, Barry M, Accessorize, Virgin V and 2true.

Very cheap glitter
Let me know what you think, I always like to hear back from you all!



22 comments:

ellie said...

Wow, what a wonderful designer. Like your nails too!

ivy's closet said...

Love the nails. A very fun post!

lucy and sarah said...

I love this dress! Cool nails!

mazzy may said...

Very cool nails. Love the dress too.

Maiken said...

firstly, I really like those galaxy print dresses and I wish I had one (for an example the second one you show here) :P
now, when it comes to your nails then I'm amazed by how many different colours you used! and you did a great job, the manicure suits you nicely!

Maiken/
Maikeni blogi - part of me

Nuellasource said...

looove your nails!!!

Arianne said...

Awwwww they look so so so cute!!! Seriously, love glittery nail polish, it's my passion haha
xo -A

Tanja S. said...

wow, so much colours for this? I think your nails look so cool :)

Courtney Erin said...

Wow, love them!!!! I live the whole galaxy look.

Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

Candypop said...

Love galaxy prints ahh ive never been able to achieve it on nails though my attempts on it fail me miserably haha
Im hosting a giveaway atm please check it out when you have time :)

ox

www.candypop-lamour.blogspot.com

What.Jessica.Loves said...

I love your nails color that's pretty !

Thank you so much for your sweet comments , that's so cute !

Kallie, Happy Honey and Lark said...

I'm so in love with the galaxy dress! Also, you are such a great writer. I must try this nail art for myself. Thanks for sharing.

Jasmine-Alexa said...

These nails are super cute!! x

FASHION TALES said...

Love those fabulous nails! :)

ROSE OLIVEIRA said...

hi dear thank you, I'm following you ... kisses

Viv said...

awesome nails, it took a lot of nail polish to create the look! I wouldn't have guessed :)



myblissisthisway.blogspot.com

Birgit said...

Yup it's so pretty. Wish I had a galaxy printed blouse :)
xxxx

laurdows said...

love the nails!!
laur x

www.betwixtlaur.blogspot.com

Maiken said...

I have tagged you :) check out the details from my newest post!

Maiken/
Maikeni blogi - part of me

Anita said...

I love your nails!
http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com

Caro * said...

Beautiful nails !! The dress is wonderful ;)

Lauryn said...

amazing blog! thanks for the following...I am exactly the same with HP- I think they make it purposely so addicted! I am now following you too...keep up the good work! xx