Monday 11 March 2013

"It's written on my T-Shirt so it must be true."

NERD.
An 'individual', i.e. a person who does not conform to society's beliefs that all people should follow trends and do what their peers do.

Tee - Newlook £9.99, Cardigan - Newlook £17.99, High Waisted Skirt - George £3 (sale)

Isn't it funny that nerd used to have so many negative connotations (see top of post) connected with it? I think pretty much every single film I've watched set in an American High School has some unfortunate student being heckled with this word. You know, the kid wearing big framed glasses and holding a stack of books? Nerd seems to be an interchangeable word, easily swapped with geek, freaks
 and dork (there's probably more but I'm tired and my brain has decided that it's had enough of thinking). Anyway, back to my original point. People (yes me!) now purposefully spend their precious cash on a T-Shirt with NERD written across it, simply because it's fashion. Do they even like it? Well I actually do. I have to say, I wasn't keen to start with but like most things in fashion, I get used to it and slowly grow to like it...and then buy into it. It's a vicious cycle. But yes, there have been a few exceptions. Some trends I could never get to grips with. Harem pants were never and will never be cool, tie-dye should stay lost in the past and, dare I say, bushy brows make me squirm and I don't recognise them as a trend because everyone should pluck their eyebrows! Back to the tops...after a few months of being exposed to them throughout the high-street, I finally gave in. There is something cute about them and nothing beats a cool tee tucked into a high waisted skirt, right? Well that's how I'll style mine.

The picture above was quickly snapped before I left for my lecture but I wanted you to be able to see my tee properly. I'd love to know your opinion on these tops and if you own one?  


2 comments:

ellie said...

I so want a skirt like this now. Cool!

Unknown said...

ahahah yes! I used to be called "nerd" and not in a good way, kind of nice the meaning has changed now eh?

xoxo Bree
The Urban Umbrella
http://www.theurbanumbrella.com